The heat in Lagos keeps blazing and could cause stress and dehydration. Here are three Iced Tea Recipes you can make by yourself at home that will help you stay hydrated and healthy while on the go on the streets of Lagos.
The heat in Lagos keeps getting stronger with the sun blazing every minute. This can tempt you to run to unhealthy ‘saviours’ to cool your dehydrated body called carbonated drinks.
Carbonated drinks come off as a nice substitute with various brands telling you they are fruity flavours but are packed with acids and gases that are not healthy for your body. That is why having your DIY drinks is a good option
Making your own drinks sounds like a huge mountain you will have to climb. But the good news is- it is very easy and simple. All the ingredients you need are within your reach and you virtually see them almost every day
These recipes take less than 20 minutes to prepare and you can get them ready the night before work to ice them up for the next day.
Here are 3 DIY Iced Tea Recipes using Lipton Yellow Label Tea or Lipton Green Tea that can help you survive the heat in Lagos and still keep you glowing and living healthy:
WATERMELON ICED TEA
Watermelon is a very common fruit in Nigeria and relatively affordable. It contains nutrients that help you stay hydrated and relieves stress. To make this recipe for 3 litres, here are the needed ingredients:
1 medium-sized watermelon
4 Lipton Yellow Label tea bags
¼ cup of sugar
Mint leaves (optional)
- Cut the top of your watermelon and scoop out your watermelon with a spoon into a bowl. Blend all the watermelon scooped and sieve out the roughages and seeds.
- Boil the watermelon juice and add your sugar. Leave to boil for 5 minutes. Get 1 litre of boiled water and put in all your teabags. Let them sit for about 5 minutes and let it cool off.
- Get a jug filled with ice and dice in the cut top of your watermelon and add your already washed mint leaves (optional)
- Pour into the jug your watermelon juice and tea and stir properly
- Serve chilled. Pour some into your water bottle with ice and you’re ready to hit the road!
APPLE ICED TEA
Apples have antioxidants that give you energy and helps improve brain function. This incredible fruit is a great choice in making your go-to drink when you’re out facing the heat in Lagos. To make this DIY Iced Tea, follow this recipe;
4 big apples
Cinnamon powder (available in baking ingredients shops in any market in Lagos)
- Peel your washed apples and slice them in small bits. Pour sliced apples into a pot of boiling water
- Add your sugar and cinnamon powder and leave to boil for 7 minutes
- Leave to cool for a few minutes
- Add your ice cubes to your bottle with apple slices and pour in your apple juice
- Grab your bottle and hit the road!
CUCUMBER MINT ICED TEA
Cucumbers are very good at hydrating your body on a very hot day. This fruit also has antioxidants that help relieve stress, good for your skin as it is high in vitamins and minerals that are good for the body. To make this DIY Iced Tea recipe, you will need the following ingredients;
1 normal sized cucumber
Mint leaves (you can get them from mallams that sell vegetables)
4 bags of Lipton Green Tea
1 Lemon (optional)
4 teaspoons of honey
- Cut ¼ of your cucumber into slices and set aside. Slice your mint leaves and set aside.
- Dice the remaining cucumber and pour them into boiling water with your tea bags, honey and some mint leaves. Leave to boil for 5 minutes
- Turn off the heat and leave to cool off. Take a jug filled with ice and add the remaining mint leave slices and cucumber slices. Add lemon slices if you want a spiky taste
- Pour in the cooled liquid into your jug and pour the amount needed for the day into your water bottle and you’re ready to go.
All three recipes take just 15 minutes to prepare and can be used for 2-3 days (depending on your intake and the size of your bottle). Just make sure your iced teas are always refrigerated with ice cubes.
There are many ways to survive in this hot weather in Lagos, but with these iced tea recipes, your day will not only be stress-free but hydrated and productive!